Followers

The memories come flooding back...

I decided yesterday to start a new blog, and since I have never used this website before for blogging, I'm just now starting to get the hang of it.

I've been crawling through a lot of blogs, and one specific story keeps reoccurring through the different pages...breast cancer. This thought brought back a lot of memories for me. Growing up, my family was a solid three, me, my mother, and my grandmother. I was only a freshman in high school when my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Growing up, I knew her as the one person in the family that didn't need help from anyone, she could always stand on her own, and believe me she had no problem voicing her opinion if she believed she wasn't being treated fairly. She always stood up for me, even if I didn't want her to. When she was diagnosed, I wasn't really sure what to think. She soon took on a totally different image in my eyes, she was no longer that woman who could make it on her own, she needed help. I remember how hard it was for her to go through chemotherapy, I remember seeing the gaping whole in her chest which soon became rotted with infection, I remember for the first time in my life seeing my grandmother scared. That was the hardest time in her life, and mine. Her cancer brought our family closer together. Throughout the whole diagnosis and treatment, she taught me a lesson I will never forget; to never feel sorry for myself, because she never did. Now, I look at everything as a challenge, although some situations wont be comfortable, I always try and try to keep a smile on my face whether the situation is big or small. I pray every day for those with cancer, and the families that have the strength to overcome whatever may.

No comments:

Post a Comment